Spaghetti Bolognese is always a comforting dish and a popular one with families everywhere. However, due to its wheat and white flour content you’re much better off making a completely raw version of this classic! As is often the case, the raw version simply tastes much better than the original.
You can purchase this dish at Atsumi Raw Cafe, Phuket, for just 180Baht, or you can make your own at home.
This is an incredibly easy dish to make (it will take you much less time than it would to make a real pasta dish with real bolognese sauce) and you won’t believe the sauce hasn’t been cooked/isn’t the real thing! I hope you enjoy making this and eating it as much as we do.
- One zucchini/courgette
- Cashew nuts
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Marinara Sauce (chopped tomato, red bell pepper, garlic (1 clove), basil, oregano, pinch or two of Sea Salt, 2 tbsp olive oil, onion, black pepper, sun-dried tomato (optional), cayenne (optional))
That’s it! That is the real beauty of this dish. Such wonderful whole flavours with only a few simply ingredients.
Ok, let’s make it!
1. Firstly, you need to make your marinara sauce. Chuck all the sauce ingredients into a food processor along with 10 or so cashew nuts and blend for 30 seconds or so. We like to use the food processor and not the blender so as to keep the sauce a little chunky and retains its texture. (Our marinara sauce pictured below was pre-made.)
2. To make the “pasta” you have two options. You can either take your zucchini and ribbon slice it so it looks like fettuccine, or you can use a spiral slicer like we do. These are much more convenient and will cut up your vegetables just like spaghetti.
3. Add one or two tbsp of olive oil onto the now spaghetti-like zucchini.
4. Add your already made marinara sauce on top and voila… you have raw bolognese pasta!
Is that really it? I’m trying desperately to think if I have forgotten something, but I haven’t. This dish is really that simple.
Conclusion: You know that heavy, slow, tired feeling you get after eating a large cooked meal such as spaghetti bolognese? Well, that’s because your digestive system is having to work so hard to break it all down and digest it. That tired uncomfortable feeling you’re getting is your body telling you to eat cleaner, lighter food! This Zucchini pasta won’t give you such feelings after your meal. You’ll feel full, but light… comfortable, refreshed! That’s what raw food does, especially this dish. You won’t believe that the marinara sauce isn’t real cooked bolognese, and you’ll be surprised at how much nicer the zucchini “pasta” is than the real thing.
Why not? Why not invite your friends over for a spag-bol and serve them this raw dish instead of the cooked version? I bet they’ll be mightily impressed! (Disclaimer: Atsumi Raw Cafe cannot take responsibility if your friends aren’t impressed by your cooking! 😛 )