This one isn’t on the menu at Raw Cafe (but perhaps it should be) it’s just something I’ve been making at home and wanted to share with you.
I’ve been going quite shake/smoothie heavy recently with these blog posts, but that’s just because they’re so convenient, easily made, delicious, easily digested and especially useful when bodybuilding to get that extra protein into your diet.
This one is extra easy (it’s only really got 2 main ingredients!!) but the consistency and texture of this smoothie is really special. With the whole avocado, coconut meat, coconut oil and vanilla protein powder this is one super creamy smoothie! It’s quite delicious, really.
- One avocado
- 3/4 coconuts (meat only)
- Coconut oil
- Celtic sea salt/Himalayan sea salt (optional)
- Agave Nectar (optional)
- Non-whey plant based Vanilla protein powder (other flavours also ok)
- Wheatgrass powder (optional, but essential for optimum health! 🙂 )
- One cup of water (or coconut water)
How to make it
1. I start by emptying out the fresh young coconut’s meat and chucking it into the blender, then followed by one whole avocado. (Best way to cut open an avocado is to slice in half, as seen below). Here I am using organic avocados from Chiang Mai…
2. Add a pinch of celtic sea salt or himalayan sea salt and add as much wheatgrass powder as you can afford to. I use a heaped tea spoon. Too much would overpower the taste, but ultimately the more you add the better for your health, so add as much as you wish/can handle!
3. Add a little agave nectar for a natural sweetener. This is not really an essential step, the coconut and vanilla protein powder are quite sweet as they are. But, I personally like to add a little (I do have a sweet-tooth).
4. Pour in a little (or a lot!) Organic Virgin Coconut oil. Mmmmm… coconut oil!
5. Add in one or two scoops of protein powder depending on your preference. I just used one scoop in this example. For a good quality raw plant based protein powder we recommend Sunwarrior. Avoid whey!
6. Add one cup (approx 200ml) water or preferably coconut water. This amount may vary depending on the exact amount of ingredients you’ve used.
7. Blend away, serve and enjoy!
Important info: Avocados have endless health benefits (I might write a blog about them soon but there is already a lot of good information out there). Celtic Sea Salt delivers 84 different trace minerals and nutrients, and wheatgrass is alkalising and full of Chlorophyll which is an important blood builder.
When you’re body building, you should be giving your body as many of these nutrients and minerals as possible to aid recovery. If your muscle tissue has been damaged to the extent which it has during a heavy gym session, your body needs these minerals to help repair itself. We don’t want to be eating too much poor quality whey protein or cooked denatured food with poor oils after a work out, as our body will actually build our new cells out of these things! We literally are what we eat.
Conclusion: I’ve been making this smoothie every day for a while now, and I still can’t quite get my head around how creamy and wonderfully thick it is. It’s like a chocolate dessert or chocolate mousse type consistency, instead it’s made of pure natural ingredients and is regenerating your body as opposed to destroying it!
Enjoy and happy smoothie making.